Want to help make happier communities?
The Community Engagement Coordinator’s primary responsibility will be to collaborate with schools, youth organizations, and other community institutions to build a culture of hands-on STEM education programs, curricula, resources, trainings, and other opportunities. This position will serve as the primary liaison between GSMIT and target low-income communities through regular site visits to target communities, especially schools and youth organizations serving those communities.
Key Areas of responsibility
The Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA will:
- Build a culture of meaningful, local-personal-relevant education opportunities in school systems and target East Tennessee communities.
- Develop educational partnerships with schools and youth organizations by spending extensive time collaborating with teachers, administrators, and community members in their school and schoolyard settings.
- Expand regional access to engage in hands-on STEM curricula, programs, resources, and teacher trainings.
- Develop systems of communication and strategic resources supporting sustained connections between GSMIT and target communities.
- Assist GSMIT faculty with curricula and standards-based activity development and implementation at schools.
- Expand Tremont’s capacity to train teachers, administrators, and youth organizations in hands-on STEM education methods and strategies for implementation.
- Raise awareness of and engagement in experiential learning within target communities.
- Serve as the primary liaison between GSMIT and target low-income communities.
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is an opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference here in America. VISTA is designed to build the capacity of an organization and enhance its ability to serve the community. This is a volunteer position in which the candidate will receive a monthly living stipend.
Please send a resume and cover letter addressed to Caleb Carlton, program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please email Caleb or call at (865) 448-6708. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.