Do you want to work in the Smokies?
The Director of Operations works closely with the CEO and senior leadership to foster growth and manage year-round planning, execution and quality control of program activities, logistics, organizational administration and communication at Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont (GSMIT). The Director of Operations is responsible for the oversight of the facilities/maintenance, kitchen, volunteer program and works to increase the impact and sustainability of GSMIT.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The following duties are normal for this position and are noted in priority order. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned by supervisor.
ORGANIZATION / STRATEGIC DIRECTION
- Communicate and demonstrate the organization’s mission, goals, & culture while creating an inclusive, equitable environment
- Understand and periodically observe programs and operations to provide sound input and guidance to CEO on matters of program expansion and strategic growth
- Assist senior leadership in the development and management of the overall budget
- Review and implement sound organizational policies and procedures and ensure compliance with state/federal law and Park Service cooperative agreement
- Assist in guiding the organization through transition to the second campus and expanded organizational needs
- May assume the duties of CEO in his/her absence
The Director of Operations will work with leadership and program staff to ensure program outcomes. This may be achieved through the following duties:
- Oversee and strengthen participant evaluation process and analyze data for improvement.
- Provide leadership to the volunteer coordinator team to strengthen volunteer relations, recruitment, training and management. Works with all areas of GSMIT to Identify and maintain a broad scope of volunteer activities
- Work with the finance department and program team to develop accurate program budgets. Evaluate program capacities and staffing levels for budgeting and personnel management
- Achieve and maintain fluency in the database and its applications (Altru / FE), assist organizational fluency and usage
FACILITIES, KITCHEN AND MAINTENANCE
- Oversee Risk Management protocols and training as it relates to all GSMIT programs, in coordination with Youth Programs Manager and Manager of Field Programs and Collegiate Studies
- Work with Facility and Maintenance staff to provide support and direction on prioritizing needs and allocating resources, coordinate with Park Service as necessary
- Supervise Chef/Manager of Food Service and help set the aspirational vision for food services as a key component of our program. Work with Kitchen staff and finance department to devise an effective cost-monitoring and budgeting process ($$ per person / per mean w/ est #s of meals by program and month)